Are You Materialistic?

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Materialistic - Adjective: To be excessively concerned with material possessions; money-orientated.

Hmm, this is the dictionary's definition of materialistic.  Kind of negative I feel.

Am I materialistic? This is a question I have been asking myself for a while now, or maybe more specifically, if I am is it a bad thing?

As someone who's main interests are fashion, design, interiors, etc I do spend a lot of my time seeking out things, whether by seeing what's new on blogs such as Design*sponge or Cup of Jo, by reading Vogue or Elle Decoration, or just surfing the internet for interesting sites and independent online shops.  And with that I have to admit there does come an ever changing wish list of things which I'd like to buy - currently a dress from Soaked in Luxury, a cushion from Howkapow, a cake stand from A& R Store, a iPhone holder from Whistles...  But such a hobby isn't always about acquiring stuff or to be excessively concerned about possessing stuff (of course I do have my days, when I see something I particularly fall in love with, hence the wish list, but who doesn't?!).  It's more about the pleasure involved in discovering new things - beautifully designed or well crafted things, innovative things, or reclaimed vintage things.  It's about finding out more about yourself by what you like or dislike; expressing yourself through the choices you make about what you dress yourself in, or surround yourself with.

I know, for me, the real things in my life that are important are my family - my husband, my daughter, my baby to be, my parents - and friends, and that without these around me all the other things are just that, things.

So, I wonder if it's perhaps possible to view materialism in a more positive light? To consider that by taking a real interest in the things you put in your home or your wardrobe means that we might aspire to have less, but have better - whether that's better suited to your lifestyle, your surroundings or your budget.

What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

neat little things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger